Saturday, August 27, 2011

Things to Do Besides Self-Harm

I, personally, have never tried self harm but I dare not say that it has never crossed my mind. I have found myself, several times, imagining different ways to harm myself. Thankfully, I was never brave enough to try it. Plus, I always surrounded myself with things that prevented it from happening. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the outdoors so I would go to some park and enjoy the wilderness or hiking in the mountains is always nice if you're near any. I also love to read so I would curl up with whatever good book I was currently reading. The biggest thing that helped me through my hard times is curling up in bed, cuddled to my stuffed penguin, and crying until I could cry no more. That was my #1. I took the liberty of looking up some other possible things you could do if you found yourself in a situation where you wanted to harm yourself....
  • First off, if its serious enough you should call a self-help hotline or your therapist. You shouldn't take any risk because even if you don't find yourself all that important, someone else does! :)
  • Excercise. I HATE running but I always find that after I go for a run that I feel happier and I'm in a better mood. So I hear, excercise releases endorphins in your brain that make you happier.
  • Scribbling on sheets of paper. YEA, I do this a lot... I find myself doing it without even realizing it.
  • Writing, whether it be poetry, stories, or in a journal. I had a journal that I called my "Crazy Journal" that I used specifically to write down how I was feeling to get it off my chest.
  • Being with other people. Call up a friend invite them over or see if they want to go shopping, or to see a movie, even getting online in chatrooms and talking to people, posting on web boards, or answering others' posts. I have this blog where I plan to do research for you to help get you through this and I am also in a support group on Facebook full of people like me with Borderline Personality Disorder. If all else fails you should definitely just talk to someone that knows whats going on. Trust me it helps. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!
  • Take up a new hobby. My new hobby is blogging... :) You can Learn to play a musical instrument, learn to paint or draw, there's plenty of things to do just try and think of something you really enjoy.
  • Find someone else you can help out. You can volunteer at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen, a nursing home, or even a humane society. There are volunteer organizations everywhere. I did a lot of work with Habitat for Humanity.
  • You can also play with a pet or take your pet for a peaceful walk. You can go for a peaceful walk if you don't have a pet.
  • Clean your house or take a hot shower, or relaxing bath. It would probably be smart to hide all the razors in the tub though. Play some peaceful music while you do so. Maybe throw in some bubbles :)
  • Watch a favorite tv show.
These are all wonderful. Just remember that you are not alone in this fight and there are others out there that are going through it to. Please talk to someone because, like I said before, you are important to someone, even if you don't think you are.

You can get through this! I have faith in you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment